Friday, February 02, 2007

Walking on the Stars


I've been in L.A. for almost two weeks now. I'm helping out on getting the L.A. company of "Wicked" up and running. We are at the Pantages theater, which is on Hollywood Blvd. Today I was having a bad day. I woke up and was in a lot of pain. The progress that I thought the chiropractor was making had seemingly took a huge step backwards. Dr. D had me try and walk on my heels again - a test for muscle strength, and I could barely do it. He decided to try wrapping my feet so I wouldn't walk on the outside of my feet so much The theory is that it will help the realignment of my pelvis would hold longer with my feet in that position.

By time I was halfway to the theater, I felt like my soul was bruised. It doesn't help that I've been in pain for two weeks - longer than that if you include the on again and off again hip pain I was having before that. My mom's birthday was the 27th, too. It's hard to explain, but anyone who has lost a loved one knows how a birthday can just tug at you.

So the combination of all the above, had me really low. I walked into the the theater, and just tried to concentrate on the work I had to do. It made the time pass. I just didn't want to worry about my back getting worse. I decided that I would spend lunch on my own. I figured I could walk as slowly as I needed, and get some errands done.

I went to the bank and then to Amoeba Music. Amoeba is great because they have a huge selection of new and used CD's. I found a couple of CD's - the Cocteau Twins, Daniel Lanois and Luka Bloom. I thought it might make me feel better. It didn't do much for me though. I hobbled my way back to the theater, picking up a sandwich and latte on the way.

The beautiful weather wasn't doing anything for me either. I was walking with my head down, like I had been most of the time I had been out. I noticed the stars that are all over this general area. I came across one of Daisy's favorite, Audrey Hepburn. Then Katharine Hepburn whose another great. And Ogden Nash. I mention him, because of an entry my friend Connie's blog. It's not like I hadn't seen the stars on the ground before or noted the names. each time I came across one of these stars, I smiled. I took pictures of them with my phone to send to Daisy and Connie.

I knew they would appreciate them. Daisy has been a rock, even in the middle of all that is going on in her own life. These stars did what the weather or shopping couldn't. It brought me back to the bigger picture.And to how much my friends and family care for me. I have so many people trying to help me find doctors back home, and checking in with me. I am fortunate. The pain I'm in will pass. I will get back to leading my life. So I need to hang in on the bad days, because they'll pass. And even when I think I can't, I have so many people who will jump in with a laugh, hug and helping hand to remind me I can. It's all covered. Again even when I'm own my own, I'm not alone. I'll keep on moving how ever I can. Who knows what I see next. While I'm walking on the stars.

No comments: