Monday, January 01, 2007

The Year in Review

2006 is over. Bring on 2007. At some point on or around, the New Year I heard someone say, "I really look forward to the New Year. There's something great about being able to start over, and leave the last year behind. It's great that you get an opportunity to try again."

I had never really thought about it that way, and it fits in with my frame of mind. So, here I am in 2007. It is one of the first times in a long time that I haven't spent my time looking back, but rather making plans for what lies ahead. And even for what I hope lies ahead.

In work, I ended 2006 incredibly busy. I have been subbing on the musical "Chicago" since May of 2005. I added subbing on "A Chorus Line" in Nov. So doing two shows plus plenty of day work, helping to prep other shows, left me very little time for anything else.

Did manage to get to see the family for the Holidays, and some of my close friends as well. But of course as if I hadn't been busy enough, training with Team In Training (TNT) started at the beginning of Dec. It was great to see people I hadn't seen since the last race. I hope to raise well over the minimum amount $4,600. I have a fundraising party in the works with some friends, and I'm hoping to get a corporate sponsor to donate.

I had decided during the summer that this season I wouldn't be a mentor. I wanted the flexibility to take time away from practices - whether for work or play. I joined with TNT to train for Gulf Coast Triathlon. It's a Half IronMan (1/2 IM) distance (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run).

As most of you know I trained for my first 1/2 IM, FirmMan, on my own. You can read the reports on how it went on this site. They are the three posts for the month of September 2006. For the most part, I was very pleased. I made mistakes, and I've learned from them. The biggest thing I learned was that I can do the necessary work on my own, but I much prefer to be a part of a team. Also, that I'm ready to switch my thinking from completing to competing.

So looking ahead. The weekend of April 29, I will go back to St Petersburg, FL to do St. Anthony's Triathlon without being a part of Team In Training (TNT). I could resist going back. It was the race that start this whole triathlon habit. Plus it's great to be able to see my family that lives in Florida. There will be plenty of folks doing that race that I know from TNT that it won't feel much different.

Two weeks after St A's, I travel with TNT to Panama City, FL to compete in Gulf Coast. I'm really hoping to be very focused in my training over the winter to make substantial improvement from FirmMan. I'll set down specific goals for both races later.

The only other triathlon I have registered for is TimberMan in New Hampshire. It's another 1/2 IM, and will be in Aug. It should be very exciting, because it is a World Championship qualifier. No, I'm not thinking I'm gonna qualify for World Champs. I'd have to take a minimum of 2 1/2 hours off my time. I might be a little crazy, but I'm not insane.

I decided to not do NYC Triathlon, because it's on the same day as the Lake Placid IronMan race. I'm going to cheer on several people I know who are racing.

Then in November I will complete my first marathon. I have a guaranteed spot in the NYC Marathon, because of the amount of New York Road Runner races I completed in 2006. Why am I doing a marathon. Well, honestly? I got tired of hearing myself say that I could never do one. I know it won't be easy, but neither are any of the triathlons I do. So, I'm gonna do it. And I hope I'll have a good bunch of cheerleaders along the way - 'cause it's gonna be really hard.

I'm sure I'll add events in, but I'm going to play those by ear.

Aside from triathlons and training, I have a wedding in June to go to. It's going to be held in Jackson Hole, WY. I've never been, so it'll be a vacation. The bride and groom, the wedding party and several others are going for the week. There will be horseback riding, whitewater rafting, and my favorite a spa day. It looks absolutely beautiful there.

There has been talk of a trip to see the start of the Tour de France in London, England. And I really need to see Onty and family in Edinburgh. She now has two little girls, and I'd really like to meet them. Maybe the two trips can be combined. They are definitely up in the air. I'm not certain I'll be making that much money this year.

What else? I'm sure I'm forgetting something. But for now I'll just finish. I'm excited for this year, but I can't really explain it. I feel like I'm making progress toward some life goals I've set. I'm the proud owner of a savings account. I know most have one, but it's a step in the right direction for me.

I feel ready to take another step out of the shadow and into the light. It sounds very dramatic I know. It'll take some time before I can completely explain what I mean. But that's what it feels like. Kinda like coming into my own. Seeing who I really am, and what I'm capable of accomplishing. And feeling OK to let other people see that too.

Everything takes time and patience, and a good dose of faith and hope. Being able to laugh, especially at yourself, is good too.

May you all have a 2007 full of all of those things, but especially filled with love.

1 comment:

BoogieB said...

It sounds like your 2006 was fantastic and that 2007 is shaping up to be wonderful in new and exciting ways. I am registered for NYC but I haven't decided what my other races will be. Maybe Timberman -- thay could be fun. Let's go for a run one of these days. Cheers, Brigid