I made it through the flight!!!!
I had a rough start. Everything hurt in the morning. It took me forever to get ready, and the SuperShuttle van was there early for a change. It meant I left a few things that weren't critical behind. The ride to the airport was a nightmare, because vans are very bumpy, and my knee would stop hurting. I thought I was going to be sick. I was officially miserable.
We made it to the airport by 6:10 am. My flight was at 9:05. It turned out to be a good thing to have the extra time. I was able to get an aisle seat, but not on the side of the plane that would allow me to stretch my left leg in aisle if needed. The check-in clerk told me to check up at the gate.
I limped off to the security gate. I asked if I had to take my shoes off. The answer was yes. I sighed knowing it was going to send my knee and calf into tons of pain again - socks are even worse. I made it through the scanner, but they wanted to check my bag. I had put an ice pack in with my food. I chanced it so that I could ice my back and knee during the flight.
The guard had me put me shoes on. It was a painful struggle to get my left shoe on. He stood there waiting for me to finish, and then we went to the examining table to go through my backpack. He pulled out the bag I had packed and went through it. He wanted to confiscate the ice pack. I nearly begged him to let me keep it. He said that he would check with his superior about the ice pack, but my Nalgene bottle full of water either had to be confiscated or I would have to dump the water. I had forgotten about water bottles.
He left me to talk to his boss. When he came back he said that I could keep the pack (phew), but I had to get rid of my hummus. "Are you kidding me?"
"It looks like a paste." He through the brand new unopened package into the garbage.
I shook my head, but I didn't really want to push my luck. That left the Nalgene bottle. He asked me what I wanted to do. I told him that he could dump it, because I wanted to keep the bottle. I was wondering where he was going to dump 32 ounces of water.
"Follow me. I'll walk you through the security gate. There are bathrooms on the other side, and then you can come back in."
"Will I have to go through the security check again?"
"Yes."
"Do I have to take my shoes off again?"
"Yes."
I sighed. I can't believe this. I almost changed my mind about the bottle, but I didn't want to spend the money or time getting another bottle. I've had it for years. But it was too late now.
We passed through the security gate. He handed me my bottle. I wondered if you watched me limp away. I dumped the water, and made my way through security. No stops this time.
On the up side, they had Dunkin Donuts in the gate waiting area. It's my favorite coffee. I went to the customer service desk first, and asked if they could change my seat to an aisle on the opposite side of the plane. There was one in the second to last row. I thanked her, and got into line for some coffee and a bagel.
The next hour and half was an experiment in just how long I could take the pain. By 8 am I was ready to turn around and go home. I phoned Daisy. I knew if anyone could talk me down, it would be her. Besides she should be up getting ready for work.
She answered. During the course of the conversation, she reminded me it was Sunday. I apologized a lot, and of course she told me not to worry about it. I guess I just figured that it was Monday because I was traveling. It was close to time to board, so I apologized again and promised to phone when I got to LA.
I boarded the flight. I explained to the flight attendants at the back of the plane that I might need to stand a lot to alleviate the pain. They said it wasn't a problem, but if I could hold off until after the snack cart had gone through the cabin that would be best.
I had forgotten home much legroom there is on JetBlue planes, and there was only one other person in my row. I stood until it was absolutely time to go. I sat down, and there was no pain - an ache every now and then. I was very pleased to be able to sit comfortably. This would be good. I can do this.
The flight went by with out much to report. I had to get up several times, but was able to sit more than not. Before I knew it, we were preparing to land. It was a bumpy decent, and I nearly vomited. It is very unusual for me. The woman next to me sweetly assured me that it was normal.
I was pretty much worn out by time we landed, but I knew I wouldn't sleep. I got my bag, and found a cab to the hotel. As we were nearing the hotel, I saw many cyclists making use of the 70 degree weather. I was really jealous, because I knew there would be no way I could ride until I get my back sorted out.
Anyway, now I'm settled and about to go off with Kai to get groceries and lunch. More once I know what's going on.
No comments:
Post a Comment