Saturday, April 14, 2007

Guster


Last night I went with a friend to see Guster in concert at the Beacon theater. It's been awhile since I've been to a concert in a venue smaller than a arena. It was a lot of fun, and great distraction from recovering from my back surgery.

We were somewhere around 10-20 years older than most of the audience. That is if you don't count the father's who were playing chaperon to their daughter and her friends. And we were getting hit on by two guys who were about 19. OK maybe that's an exaggeration, but they were considerably younger than us. It just made us laugh.

You know that sensation of losing yourself in the music? Everything just sort of slips away, and your just apart of the music. I guess you're just being. That's what last night was for us.

Jen used to be a huge fan of the band, and actually hung out with them in their early years. It was great reminiscing before and after the show. The show reminded me of many things, but for some reason specifically of a time when Daisy, Antoinette and I were in Dublin, Ireland together in 1994.

We were nearing the end of our visit, and were wandering up and down Grafton Street. We were just window shopping, because we were very short on money. Well, to make a very long story short, we met 3 members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers - Anthony K, Flea and Dave Navaro. Did you know that Flea's real name is Mike. I didn't.

Anyway they were looking for a music store, and a drink. We lead them to an area called Temple Bar, sort of like the east village here in NYC. Now here's where we messed up. Like I said, we had very little money left, and Daisy and I had to get back to the west coast and Antoinette had to get back to England. So as the 3 guys entered the bar we stood at the entrance. They turned around and asked if we were coming. We apologized explaining we had no money, but it was really nice to meet them.

Now, you're saying "Why didn't you just go in and have them by you drinks?", but they didn't offer. Interesting dilemma. If we followed, would they have bought us drinks? Maybe. Who knows? Who cares now. It was fun, and just what it was.

What struck me as Jen and I were reminiscing our various stories, was that there was a time when I just believed anything was possible. And the most incredible things would happen. Not earth shattering, but events that still make me smile. Like our search for a certain Irish actor leading us to a convent. I doubted too, but when with Daisy and Antoinette, we just did.

I try very hard to hold on to the idea that everything will work out, because one way or another it has. But just touching on a time when it was all possible, was...well I don't really know how to put it in words. I just want to try and hold on to that, and see what happens. Music really is an incredible thing. Maybe I feel restored - letting go of some doubt and fear, and choosing to believe in the infinite possibility of life and living it.

1 comment:

carolyn said...

Were you sitting in Row F on the far right end? I think I was sitting right behind you -- the guys sitting next to you had the "same phone!" as your friend? (I get the "Guster Google alerts," so a link to every blog that posts something about Guster shows up in my inbox.) Regardless, what you wrote about believing that anything is possible was very perceptively written. I was just thinking last night, too, how six years ago I was "friends" with Brian (from Guster), but over the years I got busy and he got married, and how six years is a long time to believe that things will ever stay the way they used to be. I'm 29 and aware of it. Anyway...email me if you don't mind: caroinmaine@yahoo.com