Friday, June 30, 2006

Off with a bang

So the news today from the Tour de France was shocking. 9 Riders - four of which were top contenders - were suspended from riding the Tour this year. I say this year like it's a while away, but it starts tomorrow.

I'm a little conflicted about this decision. Here's why. At this time, there is no proof that any of the cyclists have been doping. Granted they are somehow linked to a doctor in Spain that is known for helping all sorts of athletes to dope. But there is no proof that they are guilty.

Here's what it means. Vinokourov is absolutely a victim. He's not named, but four on his team were and that leaves too few riders to qualify to be in the Tour. But for the others it's a little hazier. Let's use Ullrich as an example. Jan Ullrich was one of the favorites to place if not win. He is 33. That's the same age as Armstrong when he retired last year. Now in normal terms that isn't old, but in the world of pro cycling he's getting up there. He was in great form and won the Tour de Suisse. He looked to be able to do really well this year.

If it turns out that he or the others are guilty, then good riddance. But if Ullrich turns out to be innocent, the decision has cost him dearly. I'm not saying that he won't be capable of coming back next year, but it would be even harder. Especially, with Basso (if proven innocent as well) at the start of his prime, Ullrich would have to be at the absolute top of his game.

I don't support doping or think the sport should turn a blind eye to it. Putting fairness aside, doping raises the risks of an early death. I respect the team directors and managers for coming to an unanimous decision to suspend suspected riders. I just wish that there was a better way to deal with the problem. I guess I'm still giving all of them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe this was the only way to send the message that doping will not be tolerated, and that might make some athletes not take the risk.

It has definitely blown the field open, which makes for an even more exciting Tour. But it makes me a little sad to think that these men might be innocent, and they should be out there doing what they have trained all year to do.

May it all be for the best.

No comments: