Thursday, April 27, 2006

Missing Ellie

So on Tuesday night, the 25th, Ellie left. I cleaned her up and made sure she had the essentials. She kept making funny sounds when we left the apartment, but that was easily fixed. A little focused attention was necessary, and making sure everything was just right made it all better.

We had a nice ride downtown together. Kind of quiet. We stopped at the shop to get a couple of other things sorted out. I decided we should walk the rest of the way through central park. It was a nice stroll, but I could see the storm moving in and the temperture started to drop. We picked up the pace because I didn't want her to get wet.

It would be a long trip and that was no way to start it. We got to the pick up point, and I handed her over. Kristine checked her off on the checklist that she had attached to the clipboard she was carrying, and Scott made sure everything was in order.

We went over to a fence where some others were standing and waited for her turn. Scott came over once again and said "I see that we are stalling."

"Oh is it time?" I replied. trying to hide the thank you card I was signing.

"Yep, if it's ok I'll just..." He had Ellie in hand and was walking away, and just like that she was handed over to the guys on the truck.

Ellie is my bike. She's several shades of blue with some white and silver accents, and she is still better than me. This will be her second trip down to Florida, and it struck the same as it did last year. I miss seeing her on her perch.

You migth think it strange, this attachment to my bike, but I'm not alone. There are many others. It comes from spending loads of time on it, and for me the amount I spent to get her.

Ellie is a she, not because I ride, but becuase that is how she was made. She has been on a long journey now down to Florida by way of the other Team in Training chapters. I'll see her on Friday afternoon. Where I will put the pedals back on her that the bike store so kindly took off. I will replace the air that Scott let out of her tires to keep the tubes from potentially exploding in a hot truck. And I will ride her around the parking lot to make sure all is well.

We will race again together on Sunday April 30th, and then she'll make the journey back. She'll be collected by my friend Jen, and I'll take her home when I get back on Friday.

No comments: